Thursday, November 5, 2009

Chapter 2

Chapter 2 of The Crying of Lot 49 gave me something really complex to think about. However, it was not the kind of thinking I thought I would have to do in school.
It made me think about the values society has today. In the chapter, a married woman gets "laid" at a hotel by a nicely dressed man who later ends up having a pot-belly.
I have been brought up with the belief that marriage is a sacred thing, binding a woman and a man together, through their faith and their love for eachother, and that they honor eachother by staying loyal to one another. Also, that sex is a sign of love, reserved for married couples only.
I understand that many people do not have the same beliefs as I do, and don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be some sort of preaching-freak who goes around throwing holy water around and the word "evil!" Everybody, including myself, has the right to their own opinions and beliefs. And I am not trying to change, or insult, or bash anyone's beliefs. However, I think that my beliefs should also be respected.
This chapter really did make me think. This book is the second book this year that I have sort of cringed at, and winced at the contents. The first being Slaughterhouse Five, containing its vulgar language, and also, oddly enough, the senario where a married person commits adultery.
Our world is really becoming numb and immune to many things.
Yes, there have been movies and novels written about this sort of thing, and it is "real life" I guess, but I didn't think that I would have to read about it...for a school assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment