Tuesday, June 29, 2010

DJ Trace - The Philadelphia Sessions (1999)


From what I gather, the streets is hungry for more classic mixes by the original techstep don - the UK's (and mid-90's Philly transplant) DJ Trace. I've been a long time fan of the master both as a DJ when I first got hold of his Don FM pirate radio sets from 1993/94, as well as a huge fan of his many incredible productions over the years.

During his stint in my hometown, not only did I get to regularly check Trace (known as Duncan to his mum) play excellently on many massive rigs, I've also been extremely lucky to be on occasion witness to this turntable monster throw down some of the freshest, nastiest dubplates in some of the most intimate settings: on decks set up on kitchen counters in 4am apartment ragers, off the back of a truck behind some abandon warehouse in North Philly, and of course the dark, smokey, extremely loud confines of the upstairs back room @ 1415 Locust (blunts, break-dancing and bass, anyone? Those were the days!).

When Trace announced via his Facebook last month he'd be giving up DJing drum n bass entirely, myself and I'm sure many other longtime fans shed a virtual tear. Lucky for us, many many many recordings of his beautifully hectic, futuristic DJ sets are being preserved digitally to be enjoyed by many more 'headz.

This mix from 1999 - landed via mp3 in my email box recently. I don't actually own a copy, though I do remember it's release and it making the rounds among friends. It's an excellent selection recorded at GFS studios (big up Joe & Justin!) with a nice little intro by the recently elusive Dub 2 MC.

Expect a heavy neurofunk vibe, loads of Bad Company, Ed Rush & Optical, Johnny L, Ram Trilogy, Trace, Fierce, and more. The quality is very questionable at times so forgive me it is out of my control. This is the problem with encoding cassette tapes. Enjoy!

DJ Trace - The Philadelphia Sessions (1999) Side 1


DJ Trace - The Philadelphia Sessions (1999) Side 2


Keep in mind these are ripped from very old cassette tapes, the sound quality is not the best! Click the play button to stream, or to download: just click on the "divshare" logo. On that next page, click the "download" button. You'll get a 15 second countdown, then it takes you to the same "download" screen again. Click "download" again, it will prompt you to open or save. Save and import into itunes, winamp, etc, and viola! Whatever way you do it, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment