Tuesday, September 22, 2009

To: Robert Frost From: Epictetus


Dear Robert Frost,

I have just recently read your poem and find it quite an interesting approach to life. "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood" you stated, meaning you had a choice of either option (a) in your life or option (b).
I personnally believe you are talking about a choice you need to make for your future. Something that will impact you so greatly, that if you make the 'wrong decision' you will always wonder what would have been the turn out if you had chosen the other 'road'.
However, I want to make the point to tell you that even if you did make the 'wrong decision,' it would be up to you whether or not it upsets you. Because, "what upsets people is not things themselves but their judgments about the things" (sec. 5 Epictetus).
Also, you never really had a decision to make at all. You were always going to choose the road you chose, so there is no reason to fret about the "road not taken". I have a few adjustments to your poem, according to my philosophies. I believe this will make everything much clearer to you...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
and knowing I was supposed to go down one,
I walked with confidence towards the one that made the most sense.
Knowing that whatever I chose,
I was always supposed to choose, and it isn't anything to fret about.

I shall be telling this tranquilly,
sometime ages and ages hence.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one I was always going to choose,
and now here I am where I was always going to be.

Yes, it may not sound quite as romantic as yours, but it is much more logical.
Yours sincerely,

Epictetus

No comments:

Post a Comment